Finding Cheap Flights*
Information on flights by European budget airlines will be posted as it becomes available. Many companies provide connections to Athens or Irakleion, but many do not provide direct charter flights in winter; the surest route is via Athens. An alternative to flying through Athens is to fly from Thessaloniki which has direct flights to Crete and is often a cheaper option than flying from Athens.
www.airtickets.gr - an on-line service that checks for flight options
and ranks them from cheapest to more expensive (English language: http://www.airtickets.gr/flights.asp?lang=en).
www.gogreece.about.com/od/airtravel/a/cheapflights.htm - a general info site on advice for finding cheap flights to Greece.
www.bookingwiz.com/air.asp - a site that will compare flight costs from a number of different online travel sites.
If you find a good deal, please post information on IBS's facebook page or tweet.
For travelers arriving at the Heraklion airport (HER) :
www.worldtravelguide.net/airport/531/airport_guide/Europe/Heraklion-International-Airport.html - Info about the Heraklion airport
Unfortunately, shuttle buses will not be provided to the meeting venue (despite previous notes that they will be - our apologies)
Conference attendees can be accommodated at the following hotels. To be eligible for the stated rates, please state that you will be participating in the IBS conference when making your booking.
— Venue —
1. Hotel Capsis Astoria, 4* (http://www.capsishotel.gr/astoria/index.html): 100 rooms (100-200 pax) Rates: Single Bed & Breakfast: 100,00 € Double Bed & Breakfast: 125,oo €
(please use access code bio2011 if reserving online)
— Other hotels in the vicinity —
2. Hotel GDM Megaron, 5* (http://www.gdmmegaron.gr): 20 rooms (20-40 pax)
Rates: Executive Single Bed & Breakfast: City view: 140,00 € - Sea view: 180,00 € Executive Double Bed & Breakfast: City view: 164,00 € - Sea view: 210,00 €
3. Hotel Galaxy Iraklio, 5* (http://www.galaxy-hotel.com) : 50 rooms (50-100 pax) Rates: Superior Single Bed & Breakfast: 105,00 € Superior Double Bed & Breakfast: 129,00 €
4. Lato Boutique Hotel, 3+* (http://www.lato.gr): 30 rooms (30-60 pax) Rates: Single Bed & Breakfast: 84,00 € Double Bed & Breakfast: 98,00 €
5. Hotel Olympic, 3* (http://www.hotelolympic.gr): 60 rooms (60-120 pax) Rates: Single Bed & Breakfast: 80,00 € Double Bed & Breakfast: 110,00 €
6. Kastro Hotel, 3* (http://www.kastro-hotel.gr): 20 rooms (20-40 pax) Rates: Single Bed & Breakfast: 80,00 € Double Bed & Breakfast: 100,00 €
7. Atrion Hotel, 3+* (http://www.atrion,gr): 25 rooms (25-50 pax) Rates: Single Bed & Breakfast: 66,00 € Double Bed & Breakfast: 80,00 €
Rates are per room, per day and include breakfast, all local taxes and service charges. Conditions and cancellations policies will go according to each hotel's policy. No reservations will be processed without credit card data and signature.
Looking for a good deal? Need a roommate? Try IBS's facebook page or follow IBS on twitter.
Got some information to share? Post it on facebook or tweet to IBS.
www.explorecrete.com - a good general website about Crete.
www.crete-car-rental.com/Car_rental/Rates_cars.htm - a general website for Crete car rentals
Car rentals are available at the airport (a large variety) and in downtown Heraklion which are likely to offer better rates (see links below)
A large number of websites provide information on getting to or getting around Crete. Here are just a few.
www.explorecrete.com, www.crete.tournet.gr/en/useful-info/transportation-crete/4714-flights-to-crete, www.kayak.com/
* IBS provides these links as a service to its members and does not endorse or favor these organizations.